Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ScRaPpEd LEtTeRs...

Hi All!  I am so sorry for the L.A.T.E. post... The power has been out for awhile (I started this post at about 9am this morning..)  I'm thinking it has something to do with the house being built next door!.. Oh my Gosh,  Can I just tell you how much I HATE resetting all my clocks in the house! Ugh! Such a chore!
OK SO...  
I told you I did a craft yesterday.
I am so mad at myself for not taking more pics of before and after and as I went along!
 I went to The Wood Connection  in Murray (by Salt Lake City) I fell in love with the store. it had so many things you can choose from!  Me, being my frugal self saw the clearance section, yep, you guessed it I headed straight for it. I found a bunch of mismatched letters,
(the most paid was $1.50 for each letter)
the wood in the clearance was marked down because they either had a knot in the wood or the knot was about ready  to come out.
REALLY?    I can live with that!
 I KNEW that I wanted to use some fun scrapbook paper I have so I didn't mind..I
I'm Loving how they turned out!  Just in time for that Spring weather!

TA...DAH!!
What do ya think?
So let me tell you how I did this...

This is what you'll need:
-Scrapbook Paper
-Mod Podge
-Craft Paint ( I used White & Burnt Umber in Apple Barrel Brand)
-Paint Brush
-Sandpaper
-Embellishments

1 . I  traced all the letters onto the scrapbook paper.
2.  I painted the backs and insides with the white paint.
3.  I mod podged the paper to the front of the letters,
waited for then to dry then put a coat on top also
4.  I sanded around the edges of the letter. The paper was glued down so it just comes right off like it's part of the wood.
5.  I mixed up a batch of my "Homemade Stain" used a rag and wiped it around the edges and sporadically on the whole wooden letter. 

THAT IS IT!  pretty easy right?  You can embellish as little or as much as you would like.  I thought the "O" looked a little naked... it needed to be dressed up a little so I got out some ribbon and jewels and wa-lah,I think it looked much better!

 I have to tell you that I learned about making my own stain from my cute friend Jenn K.- All you do is choose the color of brown you want to use. and mix it with a little water until you get the color you want!  Easy Peasy! Thanks Jenn!

A collage of photos from different angles! 

Have a good day!  I have some more stuff that I have been working on!
So excited to share this week!
Oh, and wanna know what my grand total for this project was? OK I'll tell...almost $8.50. SCORE! Love it when that happens!


I'm linking up with these Linky Parties


Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. this is soooo cute!! i've done this before with digital scrapbooking papers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I never thought of spelling the word "bloom" but what a great idea for spring! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I want to make some!! Thanks for sharing! Have a great day! Come stop by my blog sometime :) I love to see new people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so precious! Love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those letters, very very sweet! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I definitely want to make some now!!

    Audrey
    @adaywithadomesticengineer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bloomin' letters!! Very springy! I have a girl who would love those in her room!
    Found you over at Lil' Luna.
    Cheers!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. too cute! love the spring themed "bloom" word!


    http://megschmitt-neveradullday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely adorable! I love Mod Podge, don't you? What a great, personalized spring decoration. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Amy@oneartmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful, loving the papers you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I love that you used the word 'bloom'! I also love all the paper you used! Looks great!!

    Found you through Fingerprints on the Fridge!

    Kelly

    PS- I am hosting a giveaway on my blog right now for free hair accessories and would love for you to come enter!

    http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/04/200-followers-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are SO pretty and I love the shapes of the letters -- not the usual 'straight' lines! Thanks for the link to buy them -- what a steal that is! Bookmarking now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting from Tatertots & Jello - these look great. I think I need to update the boring painted "A" on my daughter's door to a funner mod podged one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice job! I've made a number of these, but I've never seen such cute letters. I'll have to check out your link. Thanks for posting!
    Love your blog and am your newest follower.
    Buffie
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out cute! I've been dying to do this in my home but I'm waiting for some letters to go on sale! I love the paper you used!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kirst I'm now a follower of yours...YAY!!!! I LoVe the Bloom letters and the scrapbook paper! Super Cute cause your super cute with such cute ideas;) lol...
    ~Love you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some "LOVES" and making me smile!